This presents a fantastic opportunity to work in the Global Headquarters of a FTSE 100 Plc. The company are a leading provider of packaging in Europe and the US with a presence in over 35 countries, employing around 20,000 people.
We are currently looking for a UK Group Tax Manager to join our Group Tax team based in London. The role will report directly to the Senior International Tax Manager and will work in a team dealing with corporation tax matters for a portfolio entities primarily in the UK. The company has over 30 subsidiaries in the UK. The successful candidate, as part of an established tax team, will have a wide range of exposure to the Head Office and global functions of a FTSE 100 organisation.
This role will provide the right candidate with an excellent opportunity to review and evolve the existing compliance and reporting processes and functions. Working closely with the other members of the tax department, you will play an essential role in the implementation of initiatives supporting the Group’s global tax strategy. The role will involve engaging and working with a broad range of business stakeholders including: external authorities (regulatory, audit, tax), our advisors, regional finance teams (including US and EU), the Group Finance team, other corporate functions (Legal, HR, operations) and shared services. The candidate should have a proven track record of corporation tax compliance and reporting ideally in a large multinational organisation.
The role is a hybrid role based in our London office.
Main Responsibilities Include:
- Responsibility for the UK half yearly and full year group tax provisioning under IFRS including preparing/reviewing the tax provision calculations by overseas teams, management and reconciliation of the tax balances on the ledger, analysing the effective rate and reporting the position.
- Review of tax disclosures for IFRS Group statutory accounts and responsibility for dealing with external auditors related to these alongside other members of the team.
- Preparation of the tax provisions and disclosures for the UK entities and responsibility for dealing with the external auditors relating to these.
- Forecasting the effective tax rate for the group.
- Preparation of the corporation tax returns for the UK entities.
- Oversight and review of corporation tax computations prepared by outsourced tax compliance providers for a small number of DS Smith overseas subsidiaries.
- Ownership of key tax deliverables in terms of process management, controls and proactive review of processes as considered necessary. This could include but not limited to: Payments on account, corporate interest restriction return, Country by Country Reporting compliance obligations, R&D claims, UK Claims and Elections, capital allowances, capital gains, withholding tax clearances for the UK entities and UK Certificates of Residence.
- Assist with corporate tax & reporting process improvement projects, including the use of automation tools, to streamline and standardise processes along with the Tax Technology Manager.
- Implementation of a new tax consolidation tool.
- Ad-hoc tax technical research in relation to UK tax issues arising from questions from the business. This may include liaising with our advisors for more complex matters.
- Supporting on entity rationalisations of the UK entities.
- Support with the preparation of responses to HMRC queries regarding tax issues relating to UK entities.
- Provide UK tax advisory support on any transactions / projects relating to a portfolio of UK entities to ensure accuracy of disclosures in the tax computations.
- Lead impact assessments in respect of UK legislative developments where necessary, for example, Uncertain Tax Treatment (UTT).
- Develop and maintain strong, productive relationships with external advisers, Group finance and local finance teams within the company across multiple jurisdictions.
- Oversight and management of the Group Tax Tracker tool for monitoring overseas compliance submissions.
- Manage the preparation of the PSA by the UK SSC with support from the advisors.